Hi

See comments inside;

> 1.  how do you look at details of a hello packet?  Is a hello packet that
> ospf uses any different from one that eigrp uses?  Logic tells me yes since
> there is no dr/bdr with eigrp.
They are different. (ospf has areas, auth , etc, eigrp has aCK number,
AS, etc.)

> 2.  what is a successor?  defn is a primary route used to reach a
> destination, but i thought a successor was a router itself!
Sucessor is the next hop router toward the destination.

> 3.  what is the igrp algorithm (is it the one on page 257)?  it says here
> tha tigrp * 256 = eigrp's algorithm, but was wondering, why multiply by 256,
> and not a different number?
The multiplication by 256 is in fact a binary movement 8 bits to the
left (binary math),
to convert the 24 bits of IGRP in 32 bits in EIGRP. Cisco says they did
this to offer space
for more granularity.

> 4.  says that eigrp supports both lan and wan (p.249)--Ok, I was thinking,
> does that mean I can run a routing protocol internally?  I think not!
What do you mean internally? Same AS? that is the basic idea!
and EIGRP supports wan and lan because offers different functionality
per
interface (multipoint in FR vs point to point and lan, for example)
Maybe if you reword your question (sorry on my english)

> 5.  and if anyone has the time to explain feasibility to me...  It seems
> tough right now to understand, stuff like:  the local best metric (current
> feasible distance) > than next router metric learned from the router!
> ugh...
Feasible sucessors are routers that are closer to the destination (as
seen from
the current router) but their advertised distance is not as good as the
one gotten
from the current sucessors. In other words, they represent a backup in
case the good
path fails, so we can decide to send traffice through them very fast,
without having
to wait a new topology recalculation of the hole network. Why they are
not "sucessors"? because some other router sent a better metric than
they. This other router will be the sucessor.

Regards!
---
Javier Contreras Albesa
Professional Trainer

PRO IN Training S.L.
PROfessional Information Networks
World Trade Center, Moll de Barcelona S/N
Edif Sur, Planta 4

Phone: (+34) 93-5088850             E-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax:      (+34) 93-5088860             Internet:  http://www.proin.com

SHAPING THE FUTURE - BE PART OF IT!