The master/slave relationship exists ONLY during the interface states from
EXSTART (where this relationship is negotiated) until a FULL adjacency is
achieved.  The master/slave relationship is then terminated for the two
routers involved.

The DR may indeed become the slave.  Master is the router with highest
router ID; but consider the other two factors that influence DR
selection:  timing and interface priority.  It may in fact be that a router
with lower router ID was booted up first on the link and became DR; but he
would still be slave for the exchange process.  This in no way affects the
functions of the DR/BDR--they are two different issues entirely.

It doesn't matter which router becomes master with respect to database
synchronization, and they don't switch roles at any point.  Master will
make certain that BOTH routers have a chance to request and receive all the
information they need to achieve identical link-state databases at the end
of the process.

BTW, the master/slave relationship IS negotiated during EXSTART on
point-to-point links as well as multiaccess ones.

Little-known bit of trivia, never mentioned in the Cisco course
materials:  another thing the routers examine during EXSTART is MTU
size.  If the MTUs don't match on both router interfaces involved, they
will not proceed beyond EXSTART.

Pamela