First edition, correct?

There is a website, http://www.netcordia.com/advip-first-edition/bugs1.html
where ostensibly there are bug reports listed. I don't find yours in
particular - most of them appear to be cosmetic things such as typeface and
missing lines.

In looking over the configurations in the second edition, and the first, I
am wondering about the distribute list behaviour

Recall that the access-list reads "permit 162.16.0.0 0.0.255.255" What I am
wondering is if, because that list permits a very broad network range, if at
the time of redistribution Cisco creates this null route. Recall that you
have the redistribution happening with the "subnets" switch. The OSPF
process sees 162.16.a.a, 162.16.b.b, and knows that anything in the
162.16.forever range is permitted.

Therefore it creates the null route in case any traffic shows up for subnets
other than those which are coming in.

I wonder, Nigel, if you have a moment to test this:

Access-list 1 permit 162.16.1.192  0.0.0.3
Access-list 1 permit 162.16.1.32 0.0.0.31
Access-list 1 deny any

i.e. redistribute the specific subnets that are configured on Tokyo
interfaces, and see what happens.

Another variation might be doing the redistribute without the subnets
switch.  I'll see if I can take a look a little later. I have some other
labs to finish up first.

Chuck