See http://jason.artoo.net/images/turlock_rack_1.jpg from
http://jason.artoo.net/artoo.html

The top portion is patch panels (with the nice covers over the wire
management keeping it clean looking).  Under it you see a large group of
cables going to our switches (3Com, eeyuk, but it was all free from 3Com).
As the post below said, all workstations are terminated behind the patch
panel.  We also terminal all telco POTS lines (for analog faxes & modems),
ISDN lines, & T1 lines behind these and run them down to the back of the
routers.

That way, they can easily be patched with 3' & 5' patch cables.

Hey, that makes me think:  What lengths do patch cables come in outside the
USA?  I'm guessing in meter lengths, but what would a 5ft. or 7ft. patch
cable be?  3ft. ~ 1 meter, so I can get that.

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+