>I did a quick read of RFC titles, but did not see anything that looked
>promising
>
>Ipv6 appears to me to have been created as a way of dealing with the IP
>number shortage. Of course all related protocols and stacks will have to be
>modified to work with Ipv6
>
>For BGP - will the AS field be upped to, say, 64 bits to deal with the AS
>crunch?

32 bit is under discussion on the IETF IDR mailing list, the group
responsible for BGP. There's no draft yet as far as I know.

>Or do AS's become irrelevant in v6?

No, AS will still be used.  The basic migration strategy is to define
IPv6 as a new address family using the BGP multiprotocol extensions,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2858.txt