Azhar.  Buy a book! or  use a search engine.  This stuff is out there

Ethernet Frame Size.
    64bytes*8bits/10M = 50uS
    knock off a bit for 2 repeaters, e.g. 10uS per repeater = 30uS
    x signal propagation (glass/copper = 2/3*c = 200000000m/s) =  6000m
    / 2 to get a return path
    = 3000m for the max extended LAN

ATM Cell.
Arbitary.  It's a compromise between data requiring large payloads and real time apps
requiring speedier delivery, i.e. small payloads (= smaller insertion delays).  The
payload had to be a n*8bytes used by common voice compression techniques and ended up
at
48 (arbitary).  The header was also arbitary and ended up at 5 bytes.  When ANSI and
ITU
ratified the specs that was it.