RE: 2523 or 2522 for homelabIn addition to the archives I found for you:

A dual 2501 lab is good for starters because of the 2 serials a piece, and
the ethernet connection.
For BCRAN you will need ISDN interfaces though ( 2 2503's).
At the moment articles surface about dialing through the aux port that every
25* router posesses.
Then DDR/backup and Snapshot routing should work also.
(Then no BRI needed, but you may to leartn a little about the complex world
of ISDN signaling).

Do not want to dive too deap into routing here, as every BSCN, CCIEprepbook
etc. book lists them fine, the labs show the amount of routers you need.
One is fine for basics, 2 for routing basics, 3 for 3/4 of all routing, then
you go to 4-5-6 etc CAT 5000.........

My lab I ordered at Netfix.com has a
2509 for reverse telnetting, 2 serials, 1 Eth, x async
2521 for working as a frame switch, 4 serials, 1 TR, BRI
2514 with 2 serials and 1 TR, 1 Eth.
Nice package with all cabling, trancievers, TR equipment etc.

1603 for ETH/BRI already there.

Later more can be added, if your budget allows.
You will want to watch IOS versions, I believe you will need atleast 11.2,
enterprise plus version if possible for Exterior routing.

Try to look in the future, what labs do belong to that future, then start
building, IOS/memory can be upgraded (ebay), but no ports added (if not
buying 2524/2525).

My 2nd 0.2c as a beginner.

Martijn
MCP 18x