Tarry,

For a standard ping, or for any trafffic orginated by the router for
that matter, the router will use the IP address applied to the
interface that sources the packet.

If your pinging a device on the other side of a serial interface, the
router will use the IP address of the serial interface.  If you pinging
a device on an ethernet segment, the router will use the IP address
of its ethernet interface and so on.

You can change this behavior by doing an extended ping and
entering a particular address to put in the ICMP packets as the
source IP address.  In enable mode, just type 'ping' by itself, follow
the prompts and anser 'y' when it asks if you want extended
options.

This feature can be useful for determining devices that may not
have correct default routes set.  For example, if you can ping a
workstation on an ethernet segment connected to the router but it
fails when you source the ping from another interface on the router,
it probably means the workstation doesn't have the default route
set correctly.

HTH,
Kent