>I would like opinions of others in the group on a book that really digs into
>the boot sequences, flash architechture for the different models, bootstrap
>setup, secondary bootstrap images, bootloader, how the different models load
>IOS, all that kind of stuff.

Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture. Cisco Press, ISBN 1-57870-181-3

>My friend has found a book that sounds pretty good called: Cisco Router
>Performance Field Guide from McGraw-Hill - has anyone read this book and if
>you have please comment. I just want to learn all the ways to setup IOS load
>redundancy, troubleshooting boot errors, stuff like that.
>
>Side note: has anyone found wierd non-cisco like commands in certain modes?
>Last night we were playing around and found in one mode the router responded
>to   dir -and it showed us the flash directory files.

There's IOS--the true real time operating system-- and what Cisco
marketing calls IOS (i.e., everything Cisco has). You will find some
non-IOS commands that are compatibility modes to acquired product
lines.

Incidentally, IOS and most commercial vendor router operating systems
are not really UNIX derivatives.  They are purpose-built real time
operating systems.  Any similarity to UNIX comes primarily from the
fact that most computer scientists have worked with UNIX, where a lot
of OS concepts were worked out.

I suppose it depends how far you stretch the definition of
UNIX-related. Is a MACH-based kernel UNIX derived? How about
operating systems with pthreads? Since UNIX, or at least its name,
derived from MULTICS, is everything MULTICS derived?  Windows NT
certainly has a lot of VMS ancestry.