Look up Access Servers on CCO. Examples are the 2509 and 2511. You connect
to them either via the console or via Telnet. Each of the async ports then
connects to another routers console port. You can then switch which router
you wish to configure without touching any cables. Used in labs. Also used
to manage routers at a remote site.
The configuration of the terminal server is known as reverse telnet. There
are examples on CCO. Also in the Caslow book.