From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Jim Healis
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 2:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HSRP configuration

For those that have used HSRP in your networks for redundant external
connections, how have you dealt with the "single point of failure" issue
when you have two routers, two switches and using ISL to run HSRP
between them?

I have two 7206VXR routers, two Cat 6509 switches. My current drawing
shows using the ISL uplinks from the switches to the routers and the ISL
link between the two switches to pass HSRP heartbeat.  But I figure that
if the ISL link between the switches ever drops, then I have lost the
heartbeat and I have two active routers trying to be active HSRP.

I thought about using MHSRP, and having two separate groups for the two
separate switches the routers are connected to, but I still run into
that hearbeat thing again.

The last thought that I had was to run two ethernet segments from each
router to each switch.  That would give the needed redundancy, but it
would cost so much.

Any ideas?

Jim