>I would agree here.  Things like maximum concurrent connections and how many
>connections/second need to be considered as well.  Personally I prefer
>hardware simply for the stability factor.  There's nothing like having to go
>reboot the firewall server at 2am...grrr.  Been there, done that, burned the
>t-shirt.

But again I will raise the question "what is hardware?"  No practical
firewall is going to run completely from ROM or in ASICs.  If it did,
you couldn't update it against continuing threats.

Is the distinction you are trying to make between real-time and
general-purpose, or extremely fault tolerant versus commercial grade
software?