Hi all,

As I understand it the frame header has stuff like the addresses, BECN's, FECN's and
the like but no place to indicate upper layer protocols even exist.  The upper layer
stuff is in the data envelope portion of the frame packet(frame) therfore the frame
relay service cannot directly push the details to the next (upper) layer.  A device
must be used to strip the frame header off then read the packet and find where it goes
from there.

Int this way frame is different to ethernet or token ring in that they have a field
that points directly to the upper layers.

Just my way of viewing it

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia