This is because either counter by itself isn't very helpful.  Let's say you
saw 10000 packets in a one minute period.  If these were 64-byte packets,
that's only 640kb, not a big deal.  However, if these are 1500-byte packets,
you're now approaching 15Mb.  That's a pretty significant difference!

To get a more realistic idea of your traffic flows, you really need to count
both the number of bytes and packets.

HTH,
John (who, as usual, needs a caffeine IV drip right about now.)

>    Everyone
>
>     I am just wondering why IP Accounting and Sniffers us both Packet and
Byte