From: Dennis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 7:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TCP/IP print through firewall

In addition to the public routable address on the printer, you need a
routable address on the workstation.  You can accomplish this with a static
NAT translation on your firewall.  Most likely, you currently have one
public address for your entire network for browsing.  Hopefully you have a
spare address that you are not using.

Here is what is will look like:
-request from workstation 10.x.x.x sends a print job to printer
100.100.100.100
-request goes to the workstation's gateway router to be routed to the
printer.
-gateway router forwards request to the firewall where the workstation's
10.x.x.x address is translated to a public address from the pool of
addresses that were assigned to your company from your ISP. (This is already
happening if the workstation has Internet access but the address currently
being used for Internet browsing by the workstation is probably the same one
as everyworkstation on your network.  This is why you need to put a static
translation on the firewall for this workstation.  Same idea as if you have
a webserver or email server with a private address which needs to be
translated at the firewall).
-There is one other possible gotcha--your firewall may need a rule which
allows the remote printer in.

Just my humble opinion.

Let us know how it works out.

"Ole Drews Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
2019FB428FD3D311893700508B71EBFB54AE9E@RWR_MAIL_SVR">news:2019FB428FD3D311893700508B71EBFB54AE9E@RWR_MAIL_SVR...
> All this reading about routed protocols and routing protocols makes you
> think you know it all, until you are in front of a new funny situation. I
am
> sure that someone out there can explain this to me real quick and easy, so
> here's my question.
>
> We have a LAN with a private network 10.0.0.0, and from a workstation I
need
> to print to a TCP/IP ready printer at another company, which has a public
> address 100.100.100.100 (this is ofcourse not the real one).
>
> My computer should not have any problems getting routed to that printer
via
> it's default gateway (the firewall), via the firewalls default gateway
(the
> router), via the routers default gateway (our isp), and so on.
>
> BUT, the computer needs a response from the printer so it knows that it's
> there and ready, but when the printer tries to reply to my computer
> 10.1.2.3, it will be dropped by it's default gateway (the other company's
> router), because the 10.0.0.0 network is not routable through the
Internet.