You can probably find a lot of good sites about Multicast if you start
searching for them on the web.

I thought the Multicast IP to MAC address in the BCMSN book by Karen Webb
was a little confusing, but after I read the LAN switching book by Clark and
Hamilton, I understood exactly what to do.

If you picture an IP address as octet1.octet2.octet3.octet4, the way to
convert it to a MAC address is:

1) Take (octet2, octet3 and octet4)
2) AND octet2 with 127 (or subtract 128 if octet2 >= 128)
3) Convert each octet to hexadecimal values
4) MAC = 01.00.5E.new-octet2.new-octet3.new-octet4

Let's take your example 224.0.165.45

1) 0.165.45
2) 0.165.45
3) 00.A5.2D
4) MAC = 01.00.5E.00.A5.2D

As you can see on this method, 224 uses the 3 first bits in octet1 to
specify it self as a Multicast IP address, which leaves 5 bit left for
addresses. These 5 bits plus the 1 bit of octet2 that is cleared gives you 6
bits or 32 different IP addresses that will end up with the same MAC
address.

Let's take IP address 225.128.165.45 and do the same 4 steps:

1) 128.165.45
2) 0.165.45
3) 00.A5.2D
4) MAC = 01.00.5E.00.A5.2D

This means that you have to think about this before you assign your
Multicast IP addresses to networks where you have more than one group,
because you could end up with two different groups pointing to the same
physical address.

Hth,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~