Assuming that you are following a study plan, you should have an idea of the
type and number of interfaces necessary to practice the skills you wish to
master. Better to buy something that has multiple interfaces so it can be
used for many different scenarios.
Consider renting time on virtual racks.
Form a study group and have others add equipment to the rack.
Convince your employer that they need a "Network Prototyping Lab".
At work try to find any spare equipment. Bring it all to one place. You
might be surprised.