Jeff,

Technically, the 2901 is part of the C5000 Family of
products (Its replacement was the C5002) and runs the
same CATOS as the 5000. I don't remember the version
in which support for the 2901 stops, but you could
have a 2901 and a 5002 running CATOS 2.3. So the
answer to your question is yes.

Please remember that these products run CATOS and not
IOS as your note suggests. IOS is however supported as
a direct download to RSM / RSFC and ATM blades in a
C5XXX chasis.

Hope this helps

Victor