The differences between auto and desirable is that desireable trys to become
a trunk, auto only is poked at with DTP frames requesting it act as a trunk.
With auto being the default for Fast/Gig Ethernet, you won't have trunks
coming up in places that you don't expect.  The other end will have to be
set in on or desirable to actively convert the link to a trunk.