Hi,

--- Fears Michael S SSgt 18 CS/SCBT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Q) How do they come up with this figure?
>
> Really what this is in reference to is the switching fabric. Many
> times you
> hear it reffered to as backplane capacity. The switching fabric is
> the
> shared highway that all bits traverse to get from one port to the
> next. The
> size of the switching fabric is defined by its width in bits times
> the speed
> in MHZ that it transmits those bits. For example:
>
> The Catalyst 6000 has a fabric that is 256 bits wide operating at
> 62.5
> MHz/sec. 256 X 62.5 MHz = 16 Gbps.

Can you explain this to me in greater detail?
256 bits * 62.5 MHz = 16,000(bits*MHz)

16,000(bits*MHz) * 1,000,000 Hz/MHz =
16,000,000,000 (bits*Hz) or 16 Gb*Hz

1 Hz = 1 Cycle/sec

Therefore,

16 Gb*Cycles/sec or (dropping "cycles") 16 Gb/sec IOW, 16 Gbps

What would totally clarify for me is if
1 bit is transmitted per Hz (per cycle)?

Is that always the case?

__END__

TIA,
anthony