John,
I have heard many tales of how ATM will explode soon, will be partenered
perfectly with DSL, and everyone will implement it, but I just haven't seen
it. I like the idea of improving technologies your engineering and support
staff are familiar with (Not counting new technology with old names like
IPv6). I hope this is able to work out, and isn't too far down the road.
Is there any talk of using smaller tags in IP to create big pipes similar to
ATM's VCI's so that you could lower the ip address & mask-lookup processor
overhead on backbone IP routers? I think this would be a neat idea. Even
though the CAM table is fast the router must still read the entire address
and mask. Small pipe identifiers could be inserted into the ip header and
extracted at the gateways and lookup would be lowered. Like xtags on VLANS.