From: John Nemeth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: February 14, 2001 6:00 AM
To: Leigh Anne Chisholm; Rik Guyler; Cisco Groupstudy (E-mail)
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VTY LINES NON EXISTENT!!!!

On Jul 6,  7:16am, "Leigh Anne Chisholm" wrote:
}
} You'll notice that when you access your Catalyst switch via the console
} port, that without issuing any sort of password, you're immediately able
} access several commands on the switch -- you've immediately got access to
} "user mode".  In some organizations, this can present a security risk.
Can

     Yeah, I noticed this and found it rather surprising, not to
mention disturbing.  Especially, when you consider that the standard
software doesn't have this problem (of course, it doesn't have the
"enable" mode distinction, or a CLI for that matter).

} you set a "user-mode" password for the Catalyst 1900 series switch?  If
so,
} how?

     Somebody has already shown that it can be done.  Digging through a
switch, the only thing that comes to mind is TACACS?  However, setting
up TACACS just for a couple of switches seems like a big waste.

}-- End of excerpt from "Leigh Anne Chisholm"