I was reviewing some old stuff and came across this one.

>The only exception to this is if you define the DG [default gateway]
for a
>device as its own IP.  In this case, the machine will issue an arp
request
>for all destinations. ...
>If the destination being arped for is on the same physical
>LAN/VLAN, it will see the arp request for its MAC,
>   but will ignore the request since it will recognize that the
>   requesting station is on a different IP subnet.
>   (I've done this in the lab, and this is what happens)

That's interesting, since I've done this to configure network devices
that
start with some funky, initial IP address like 192.0.0.192.
I simply (on my Win95 PC)
 . remove my DG
 . add new DG to my IP address
 . then I can connect to 192.0.0.192

There is no Proxy ARP going on.
I've also tested it on Linux and works the same way.

RFC826 does not mention any matching of addresses.
Further, how could it really know whether it were on a different
subnet? --
there is no subnet mask being passed in ARP packets.  The best it could
do
would be to make some kind of classful assumption, which would be bad.

So it seems to me that, if your device "ignore[ed] the request", then it
appears to have been an implementation bug.

Tks        | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
BV         | <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511