The default configuration, will have all the physical
interfaces shutdown (serial, ethernet, etc). To make
the interface active you must go into configuration
mode and put 'no shutdown' under the interface.

New routers or routers without a local configuration
or image file might have physical interfaces active
for network booting purposes, but if the router has a
local image and config then it loads off that and on
all routers I've encountered physical interfaces are
disabled until they are configured - besids some of
the small soho home routers.

Logical/Virtual interfaces (loopback, etc) become
active once you create them. You can shut them down by
putting the 'shutdown' command under the interface.