Dear Anne,

I can answer this question. :)

Case Scenario: (You may want to draw as you go along...)

Swith A is the root bridge, and Switch B is the non-root bridge
Switch A is connected to Switch B via to links of equal cost.
We will call the ports on Switch A: W and X, and the ports on Switch B:Y and
W is connected to Y and X is connected to Z
Changing the priority of port Y or Z will have NO effect on the spanning
tree.
However changing the the priority of W or X will cause the following:
1) If W is greater than X, then Z will be blocked
2) If X is greater than W, then Y will be blocked

I tried many other case scenarios yesterday evening. I can summurize them as
follows:

1) If the cost of link WY and the cost of link XZ are not equal, then cost
IS the criteria for deciding which port will be blocked
and no change of priority (on W, X , Y ,Z) is going to change the spanning
tree
2) If the cost of link WY and the cost of link XZ are equal, then the
priorities set by ports X and W of the root bridge will be the determining
factors.
3) If the priority of link WY and the priority of link XZ are the same, the
non root bridge will choose as the root port, the sending port that had the
lowest mac address (If we assume that W has a lower mac address than  X,
then port Y will be the root port and port Z will be blocked)

Did that fulfill some of your thurst for knowledge?  :)

Pierre-Alex