Hi,

I'm not sure how to calculate it for 4 seconds, but
all the documentation and examples I've seen explain
Bc (Commited burst) as bc = 1/8 / line access rate,
where 1/8 is the time period for a one second period
which is a common time period from my understanding.

Example:

line access rate: 64k
CIR Contracted: 32k

bc (1/8 / line access rate) = 8000
be (excess burst) = 0 (recommended)

According to what I read, there are 8 intervals
(transmission periods) in this one second period.

Interval 1: bc + be (be is only sent on 1st interval)
Interval 2-8: bc only

So, using a bc of 8000 and be of 0, 8000 * 8 = 64000
which is the line speed.

If you make bc 4000 and be 32000 then you will be
sending 32000 commited burst and 32000 excess on first
interval of cycle, for total of 64000.

In cisco terms (Frame Relay traffic shaping)

cir = line access rate
mincir = contracted CIR with provider
bc = commited burst
be = excess burst