The CSS series switches are from the Arrowpoint acquisition.  We purchased
one while they were still Arrowpoint and I must say that they are
*seriously* cool boxes.

Basically, it is a switch that can see up into the higher layers to make
switching decisions.  Let's say you had three web servers that had different
content but the same domain name.  This switch can look inside the http
request and direct it to the best server for that particular content.

In our network, we use it to forward requests for cacheable content to our
cache engine, and then load balance between two servers for non-cacheable
unsecure content.  For secure content, we have the switch configured to
notice when an SSL session has been set up and it locks the user down to one
server instead of continuing to load balance.  That is a very cool feature,
and it's especially useful if you have online shopping with shopping carts.
Once someone logs in, they are stuck to the same server for the remainder of
the session, so they don't run the risk of jumping to another server and
losing they shopping cart information.  You can also lock sessions down
based on cookies if you'd like.

If you don't want to use the default round-robin load balancing, you can
configure it to load balance based on number of current connections, server
load, etc.

Once you've read through the manuals, if you need any help configuring it
just let me know.  I'd be glad to help you out with the details.  When we
got the box, I was in the same boat as you.  I had NO idea what in the heck
the thing did, yet I was the one tasked with learning to use it.

Regards,
John

>  Hi Guys
I've been asked to install a Cisco CSS(Content Service Switch) 11051 switch.
I've never heard of one before, before I start reading the manual, has any
of you guys have experience of one before ?, how much different is it to
configure compared to say, a Catalyst switch ?