Well, you have port-based VLANs and protocol-based
VLANs.

A switch/bridge builds a MAC address table (CAM) and
association MAC address's with a port. So, within the
switch arch. they extend these tables for VLAN
membership(s).

Lets say ports 1-5 are in VLAN 1 and 6-12 are in VLAN
2. So any MAC address in ports 1-5 are in VLAN 1 and
6-12 in VLAN 2. Similar thing for protocol-based but
they need to look at more information to determine
which MAC address is in which VLAN(s).

Within the switch, they have internal index #s / id #s
to tell difference between VLANs. Usually these
indexes are not configurable by the user - but on some
switches you can change the index #.

Thats it basically. Some switches have extended VLAN
features (mostly propiertary). If you want to know how
802.1q and ISL do it there are plenty of web sites
that explain it. Check the archives and search on
google.com.