On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Frank Kim wrote:

> Hi folks,
> If you have three T1's coming from the same provider which go straight
> into one single router and between you and the provider, you guys are
> doing multigroup ppp with ip cef load balancing 'per packet'.  Ultimately,
> do you have the same kind of inbound/outbound bandwidth in this scenario
> vs. the a fractional T3, committing at 4.5mbps ?  Which one is better?

their are pro's and cons.  You hit a price point with T1's where it is
cheaper to go with frac t3's.  You lose physical diversity however, as one
cable cut and your dead with a single frac t3.  If you don't watch it
though, chances are most of your T1's to the same provider may be in the
same actual binder anyways, not really giving you as much protection as
you may think

In terms of packet forwarding and just raw thruput, i say its not really
an issue.  They are probably about the same.  CEF is not too intensive,
its quite efficient.  Only problem with CEF is it is buggy as hell.  CEF
is the evil we all have a love / hate relationship with.

Also, typically, per-packet CEF is ran up on standard hdlc serial links
(parallel) to the same source/destination routers.......its not common to
have CEF combined with PPP multigroup.  Most ISP's running CEF are doing
so over just HDLC links.

Brian

 > > Thanks, > > -Frank

          I'm buying used CISCO gear!!
              email me for a quote

Brian Feeny                 e:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP+Voice/ATM/Security     p:318.222.2638x109
CCDP                        f:318.221.6612
Network Administrator
ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)