I don't have the link handy, but there are different
flash types on Cisco routers. Some don't allow you to
squeeze the flash to regain space, others do. I'll see
if I can find the link (I had it bookmarked on my work
PC).

I also question why you can delete if you can't
squeeze, but did find a useful reason for it. If you
copy your config to flash for backup and make changes
to it later and want to keep same name without erasing
flash its useful. The only drawback to this is when
you do a show flash you have the one filename listed
as many times as you saved it to flash. All of them
have deleted next to them except for one. So...
eventually you'll need to TFTP the files on flash to
elsewhere, erase the flash and TFTP the files back
down to clean it up.

If your flash is big enough, you could also download a
new image and delete old one. This way you don't have
to use boot system commands to tell router which to
boot off of.