From: Kane, Christopher A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 9:38 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: IP Protocol 89?

In trying to understand OSPF in much more detail, I am reading RFC 2328.
Several times Mr. Moy refers to OSPF as " IP Protocol 89". I checked the
"RFC/Port Number" page that I reference often
(http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/default0301.htm) and found that indeed
OSPF is IP Protocol 89. I have not seen this before. Sure, I've worked with
TCP/UDP port numbers, but this is the first time I've paid attention to the
fact that the protocols themselves have numbers too. This is interesting.

Should I look at 89 as a number that can be manipulated as I would 23
(telnet) or 69 (tftp)? Can someone explain where these numbers are used? Are
they found in headers? As networkers, are we concerned with these numbers?
Does anyone commonly filter based on a protocol's number? Or is getting this
granular an exercise in futility for a network engineer?

Thanks,
 Chris