Alex,

Token ring must use a MAU or token hub to insert into the ring.  All
stations wishing access are connected to this ring.  The ring is maintained
through the MAU or token hub.  Electronic relays hold each station into a
loopback state until a voltage signal is sent from the workstation wishing
access to the ring through MAU/Hub. The voltage signal in turn activates a
relay that inserts the token ring
workstation’s connection onto the ring.

This insertion process into the ring is the reason that a crossover cable
cannot be used for connecting two token ring stations in the same manner
that you can use a crossover cable for a direct connection between two
ethernet workstations, simply passing data across a segment.

I didn't go through and check out the link but what is happening in Scott's
diagram below is that the Bay Centillion 100 Switch is serving the purpose
of the MAU/Hub for insertion into the ring.  The Centillion
Switch allows for each port to be it's own ring.  (please correct me if I'm
wrong there Scott)

Token Ring uses pins 3,4,5,6 whereas Ethernet uses pins 1,2,3,6. Thus your
crossover requirement using 3,4 crossed and 5,6 crossed.

Ed