On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Bradley J. Wilson wrote:

> Whoops...looks like I've started a new thread here. ;-)
>
> Hashing:
>
> What's green and red and goes a hundred miles an hour?  You guessed it, a
> frog in a blender.  When you "hash" a password, that's essentially what
> you're doing - putting it in a blender and making something completely
> different that no one would immediately recognize.  And just like our poor
> frog (nod to PETA there), once it's gone through the blender, we will never,
> ever get a frog back from the goo.  It's (theoretically) mathematically
> impossible to un-hash a hashed password (I know there are programs out there
> that do this, but I'm talking about MD5 hashing - can't be undone in this
> day and age...but has anyone else been following quantum computing?  Scary
> stuff...).

Interesting analogy Bradley :)  Let me also add, that when hashing, you
generally don't modify the frog.  You build the hash by using the frog,
but the frog itself remains a frog :)  Sort of like a checksum (and in
fact, hashes are usually used just for that purpose).

> Anyone else who wants to jump in, feel free - I am by no means an expert on
> security - this is just how I understand it. :-)

I am curious, have you ever actually put a frog into a blender? :)

Brian

> Bradley J. Wilson
> CCNP, CCDP, MCSE, NNCSS, CNX, MCT, CTT

    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny,CCDP,CCNP+VAS Scarlett Parria
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
318-222-2638 x 109        318-222-2638 x 101

Netjam, LLC               http://www.netjam.net
1401 Oden St.
Suite 18
Shreveport, LA 71104