I need some help with IP extended access lists.

I have an FTP server on the inside and I need to allow access to it from
the outside. There are two ports used, FTP (20) for control and FTP-DATA
(21) for the transfer of actual data.

When the two sides decide to start data transfer, does the server or the
client open the data connection (TCP)? I assume that in passive mode,
the client opens the connection and in normal mode, the server opens
connection. How is port FTP-DATA used? Is that port always used on the
server side?

access-list 101 permit tcp any host a.b.c.d eq ftp
access-list 101 permit tcp any host a.b.c.d eq ftp-data

Will the above work in all cases, where the server has the address
a.b.c.d?

In one case I saw

access-list 101 permit any eq ftp-data host a.b.c.d

That is what started me thinking.

Some applications using UDP use the same port on both sides, e.g.

access-list 102 permit udp any eq isakmp host a.b.c.d eq isakmp

allows IPSEC key exchange between the outside and inside.

Other examples, I think, are netbios name service (port 137) and netbios
datagram service (138). Am I right? Are there other applications using
the same port number on either side for UDP service?

TIA.

Nelluri Reddy