That describes a bridge or switch. A switch is
basically a multi-port bridge with advanced features.

A bridge just tracks port to MAC address; same for
basic switches. Advanced switches with layer 3/4
functions may track port #s as well.

A managed or smart hub lets you assign a network
address (IP, IPX, etc) to the network management
portion of the hub. This is a seperate function of the
hub and is basically another device on the network.
This allows you to telnet to the hub and check stats,
RMON information, etc.