I don't remember this thread, but I wanted to chime in.  This one time
(at band camp) we had a file server connected to a hub, but someone set
the server to full duplex.  This was wreaking all sorts of havoc on the
LAN.  I noticed the large number of late collisions but I didn't know
what that indicated.  Thanks to someone on this list, I checked the
duplex settings and voila, that was it.

I've read many times that late collisions are often caused by extra
long ethernet cables, but I've never experienced that.  I have, however,
experienced the duplex-caused late collisions many times.  I have to
keep a close eye on the LAN guys around here.  <g>

>>> "Kevin Wigle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/26/01 12:59:01 PM >>>
Group,

An update on that late-collision issue I brought to the list a while
back.

Finally got to talk to a tech with my ISP today and we worked through
the
circuit.

It seems the half-duplex / full-duplex answer wins the prize.

At first they tried to get me to verify my router's settings and as I
have
done many times before, a sh int e0/1 indicated that the interface was
not
full-duplex.

But he wanted me to give a command to change it to half-duplex "just to
see
what happens".

But I suggested he do it on his end first - "just to see what
happens".

In the meanwhile we were monitoring the router interface with sh int
and
observing console errors.
The console was constantly spewing out transmit errors - late
collision.

The sniffer was seeing significant alignment errors.

Anyway, he "does something" and immediately the console stops
scrolling
errors.

amazing..........

So, we're going to stress this circuit a bit before letting them close
the
ticket.

It seems they paid more attention when we said we had a sniffer on the
line.

thanks for all the responses!

Kevin Wigle