Assuming you are talking about PIM-SM , then  where you have two routers (PIM-SM)
connected to a shared network with a receiver,  a single DR should be chosen  for the
purpose of sending "joins" to the RP in order to build the share tree for that group.
If both routers sent joins to the RP for the group you would have duplicate paths and
the host/reciever would receive duplicate multicast traffic.

PIM-SM is centered on a single, unidirectional shared tree.  The root of the tree is
the
RP.  In a shared tree, sources must send the multicast traffic to the root (RP) for the
traffic to reach all receivers.

Here is two sites for your reading pleasure.  Also the Cisco Press book by Beu
Willamson
is pretty good.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/multicast/index.html
ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html