Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 06:07 PM 3/6/01, NetEng wrote:
> >Does HSRP work at the interface level or is the entire router on
> >acvtive/stand-by? In other words, if I have two routers working in HSRP
and
> >a link goes down somewhere down the line, will the first router know to
> >fail-over to the second router (with a good link)?

HSRP works at the interface level by definition.  It is configured at the
interface level, too.

If a link goes down "somewhere down the line", that is NOT a function of HSRP
failover.  However, if a directly connected link fails, it CAN switch itself
to another standby router.  Here are your HSRP failover parameters:

1.  Loss of direct interface - all traffic is shifted to another standby
interface.

2.  Loss of interface(s) directly attached in that router (by use of the
"standby track <interface>" command - HSRP can track multiple interfaces
simultaneously

3.  HSRP does NOT disable the primary IP address on a standby interface, nor
does it squelch routing updates from those interfaces.  All HSRP interfaces
are ALWAYS live on their primary IP address.  Therefore, it's conceivable that
rerouting could occur if a downstream path were broken and you had multiple
default gateway addresses programmed on your hosts.  However, enabling HSRP
also DISABLES ICMP redirects (to prevent routing loops... ha-ha-ha-ha) and you
can't run it with Proxy ARP, so you end up having to make a decision about how
best to enable redundancy/failover on your network.

> Interesting question. The first router would have to lose its connectivity
> to the second router. Routers that are running HSRP send and receive
> multicast UDP-based hello packets to detect router failure and to designate

> active and standby routers. HSRP detects when the designated active router
> fails because of the lack of hello packets, at which point a selected
> standby router assumes control of the Hot Standby group's MAC and IP
> addresses. A new standby router is also selected at that time.
>
> Remember HSRP stands for Hot Standby Router Protocol, not Hot Standby
> Routing protocol. It's the default router for LAN devices that's on
> standby. If you think of HSRP as a routing protocol, then you will tend to
> think it does more than it does. I think to solve your problem you need a
> "real" routing protocol, although without more info, it's hard to say for
> sure.

BTW, nothing throws off HSRP worst than losing connectivity between the
standby interfaces when they're still all active.  Dynamic routing tables go
berserk, because they receive the same routing update from two different
sources and that sometimes starts the asymmetric routing dance.