I'll defer to David on this, since, in part, I don't have the exact
lab in front of me.  But remember that BGP is there both to advertise
your routes to other AS, and to accept routes from other AS.  Could
your configuration have been trying to bring up a session to listen
to the other AS, even if it didn't have anything to announce?  Also,
remember that BGP does have a keepalive, although the keepalive often
is disabled in practice because other mechanisms will detect failures
faster.