Take a look at local.linterfaces.lifTable table. There you will
find:

   lifEntry                      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { lifTable 1 }

   locIfipInPkts                 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { lifEntry 42 }
   locIfipOutPkts                OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { lifEntry 43 }
   locIfipInOctets               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { lifEntry 44 }
   locIfipOutOctets              OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { lifEntry 45 }

Above variables reflect output from command

    show interface <interface> accounting

and in the locIfEntry there are entries for other supported protocols,
also. I'm using above variables since IOS 10.3, so yoy don't need
anything special (plain IP feature set works).

Hope this helps.

Sasa