> 2. What role does CSU/DSU play? What is the role of DTE/DCE.
> A2. The CSU is a device that performs protective and diagnostic functions
> for a telecommunications line. The DSU is a device that connects
> a terminal
> to a digital line. Typically, the two devices are packaged as a
> single unit.
> The CSU/DSU is usually the DCE (provides clocking) and the router is the
> DTE.

This may be a bad comparison but it helped me... compare a CSU/DSU to a
regular old PC modem. This is the device that sits between your telco line
(copper) and the first (or last, depending how you look at it) device that
is actually aware of user data. Don't think of a CSU/DSU as either DCE/DTE
unless you are stating what the opposing device is, like Santosh did. Yes,
the CSU/DSU is DCE to the router. But what about the telco switch it
connects to??? A CSU/DSU, like a router can have many ports. In the
particular model we have, you can manually set the clock (we're talking
telco side) or let it set it's own auto-magically via the line signaling, an
external clock, and at least one other option I can't remember at the
moment. If you ever connect to the console port of a standalone CSU/DSU you
will find quite a few things that need to be set. Luckily most (if not all)
of this will be provided to you by the telco.

Another point to remember is that a CSU/DSU can be an external device or
built-in to the router (or WIC, expansion card, put your term here). Single
and dual port models are about the size of a 2500 (1U?) but there are also
large multiport models.

Ours is used on a fractional T-1, I'm sure if I said something that either
doesn't apply or is downright incorrect someone will correct me ;-) (and
they should)

Hope that helped....

I'll be out of town for a few days, so flame on ;-)

Tim