16MB of Flash is nice, but I don't believe required for a lab.  You can get
virtually any IOS image on 8MB of flash by using a compression utility.
Personally, I'd recommend 8MB Flash and 16MB RAM.  The RAM is
cheaper and if you're running any kind of Enterprise IOS or one that does
Firewall, etc, you'll need the RAM.  I don't know why they'd recommend
16Flash/8Ram.  If you have a 12MB Flash image, chances are, you'll need
more than 8MB RAM to run it.  The 12.1.7 IOS that has IP/IPX/AT for the
25xx series is 9MB.  You can probably compress this to about 4-5MB for the
Flash.  The largest IOS I could find on CCO was 16,158,604.  I compressed
that down to 7,249,938.  That would fit nicely on 8MB of Flash and would
definitely require 16MB RAM.

HTH

Bob