From: "Cynthia Chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: O/T One question CID test

> 42 & E
> Words are the means by which we communicate our ideas.  If you call it a
widget as long as I know that a widget is X then that's fine.  The
definition of logic as the people who formally study the process would break
it down to non-contradictory reasoning.  Study of logic comes from Aristotle
and it is the means by which we come to reasonable conclusions like...  I
know the device that is down must be beyond rtr2 because my workstation is
getting an icmp response from rtr2.  The devices in between me and rtr2 must
be up because I am able to get to rtr2.  (some assumptions here but you get
this idea...think Venn diagrams.)  The addition of these words may help...

> A. All of the statements below are true
> B. None of the statements below are true
> C. All of the above statements are true
> D. One of the above statements is true
> E. None of the above statements are true
> F. None of the above statements are true
>
> With that said, E is the correct answer because
>
> 1.  A- cannot be true because you get a contradiction with your statement
in B-.  When you say "All of the below s.a.t." you are saying that BCDEF are
true.  But in B- "None of the below s.a.t." you are saying that CDEF are not
true.
> So from here you get....A- cannot be true (but note B can still be true.)
> 2.  C- cannot be true because we have already stated that A is not true.
> 3.  B- then becomes incorrect because we have already stated that C is not
true and thus "None of the below s.a.t" cannot be true.
> 4.  D- then cannot be true because we stated that A B & C are not true and
thus "One of the above s.a.t." cannot be true.
> 5.  E- The statement E is correct that "None of the above statements are
true."
> 6.  F- You cannot say that "None of the statements above..."  F are true
because we just said that E was true.

> Kinda critical stuff when you are problem solving and it is going to cost
you $$$ and/or time with each proposed solution.  By what system of thinking
do you use to evaluate the proposed solutions?  or... just answer 42.