It allows us access to a terminal device from the async AUX port.  Typically,
we use the AUX as a receiving input device; that is, receiving data from a
terminal.  This configuration allows us to initiate a session into an end
ASCII device from the network.

for example, if you wanted to use a terminal server to access the console
ports of your network devices and servers, you would physically connect them
to a terminal server and then configure the physical async serial 'lines' to
the console interfaces on the end device.  (you'd also need to configure
number of data bits, stop bits, and maybe a 9600 bps data rate too)

when you issued the "telnet 10.10.10.1 2065" command from the terminal server,
you'd be presented (maybe after one carriage return) with the login prompt of
your end device.

in the olden days, we used this configuration to attach terminal servers to
serial line printers so that they could be accessed from hosts.

pretty cool, eh?