From: Sean Young [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 12:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: migrating TACACS server from Solaris to Linux platforms

Hi Everyone,

I am researching on information TACACS server running on Linux platform.
Currently my company is running several TACACS servers on a Sun Solaris
8 platforms.  As you can imagine, the support cost is very expensive
in regarding to both hardware, software and technical services.  These
Sun boxes don't do anything other running TACACS server and SSH (for
management purpose).  It also costs a lot of money to pay our Solaris
Administrator contractors just to maintain these boxes.  As a Cisco
Engineer with background in Linux, I have been asked by management to
explore way to migrate these TACACS server from Sun Solaris platform
to Linux platform.  I am looking for information on TACACS server
performance on Linux (RedHat 7) platform in comparison to Solaris 8
platform.  I have been testing TACACS server on Linux in the lab (I
am running Linux on a PIII processor with 128MB RAM which I think
is an overkill for Linux) and I find it very stable and I think I am
going recommend to my company management to migrate TACACS server over
to linux platform.  However, before doing so, I would like to hear
from Cisco experts out there about any potential side-effects of going
away from Sun.  I am not a Solaris expert, only in Linux and NetBSD.
If I can migrate TACACS server to Linux platform, that will save the
company a lot of money.  Furthermore, I will be managing the TACACS
server thus eliminating the need of Solaris Consultants.

Many thanks.
Sean,
P.S.  My company is using TACACS to control Authentication, Authorization
and Accounting (AAA) for about 200 users.  We have about 500 Cisco devices
on our network.  Furthermore, anyone who are interested in
installing and configuring TACACS server and NAS, let me know so that
I can send you the instruction.  It is not as difficult as you might
think.