Take a look at what is actually happening here.  You are assigning a
registered IP address to an inside address to allow outside users to
access that resource.  This means that the node that the outside IP
address refers to is in reality inside your network.   Does it make
sense to send outgoing pings to try to reach something inside your
network?

The ping command you issued translates to "send a ping out the outside
interface to the destination 209.179.179.18."  Two problems here.
First, from the perspective of the PIX, that IP address is mapped to an
inside resource.  Second, I'm not even sure if the ping would leave the
PIX, but if it did, what's going to happen to it?  The upstream router
would receive a packet sourced from the PIX with a destination that
resides right back out the same interface.  It will route the packet
back to the PIX which will promptly drop it because it drops incoming
ICMP by default.

It looks to me like you have a routing issue, not necessarily a problem
with the configuration in the PIX.  When your users try to reach the
registered address, are their requests leaving your network and then
coming back in, or are they being routed directly to the PIX on the
internal network?  If the latter is the case, it's going to confuse the
issue.

To simplify what I'm trying to ask:  if your users are trying to reach
209.179.179.18, do you have routing in place that will eventually cause
those requests to be incoming on the outside interface of your PIX?
And, is there a valid return path?

If users outside of your network can reach 209.179.179.18 but your
internal users can't, then it definitely sounds like you have an
internal routing issue, not necessarily a PIX configuration issue.

Sorry for the rambling.  I just got back from lunch and I need a nap.
<g>

Regards,
John

>>> "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/19/01 1:10:27 PM >>>
If I telnet to a PIX, shouldn't I be able to do the following ping and
get a
response when the address entered is a global ip used in a static
command?
I get a no response received message

ping outside 209.179.179.18

Ex.
static (inside,outside) 208.179.179.18 192.168.1.10 netmask
255.255.255.255
conduit permit tcp host 208.179.179.18 eq www any
conduit permit icmp any any

ping outside 209.179.179.18
NO response recieved
NO response recieved
NO response recieved

""Sam"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
995n41$a94$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:995n41$a94$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello Group,
> I am having trouble figuring out a small issue with a PIX firewall.
It is
> running ver 4.4(5).
> After entering the approriate static and conduit (WWW) commands, I
tried
> accessing the host from our internal network using the external
address
and
> I was not able to.  I then tested from a machine that is outside our
> firewall and was able to access the host without any problem.
>
> Is their a command that I am missing in order to let users on our
internal
> network access hosts using the external IP addresses?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sam

[EMAIL PROTECTED]