OK, I think the words "it depends" were written specifically for this
question.

When you go to the Cisco IOS planner page look for images with the
letters "GD" after them. This means General Deployment and you'll
find a lot of ISP's and large corporates use these because they are
considered stable. Around the 12.0(13) or 11.2(22) releases should be
GD (I can't remember exactly).

On the other hand, if you are just using this for a bit of practise
at home then get the very newest image that your memory can handle
(12.2(1) should be out now) so you can play with all of the latest
shiny, spinny features that won't work properly yet.

Cheers

Charlie