If you don't want to send RIP/SAP updates that often, you can change the
update times by
ipx update interval {sap|rip} x    where x is in seconds - this is IOS 12.

For earlier IOS (11.2 anyway, not sure which version 11.3 uses), the commands are
 ipx sap-interval x (for SAP updates - x is in minutes)
 ipx update-time x (for RIP updates - x is in seconds)

An unusual instance of Cisco actually making the IOS commands more intuitive (or at
least more consistent)  instead of less!

JMcL
---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 21/03/2001
08:56 am ---------------------------

Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 21/03/2001
05:50:21 am

Please respond to Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   "EA Louie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      "David A. Lauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      "'Bradley J. Wilson'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      "'cisco'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Subject:  Re: IPX Help

Good response.

At 09:09 PM 3/19/01, EA Louie wrote:
>Issue:  bandwidth of SAPs (Service Advertisement Protocol) broadcast over
>the WAN - depending on how many IPX services are allowed, it could be a
big
>hit...although I've never personally seen SAP traffic saturate a decent
>bandwidth (128k and above) WAN link, perhaps others here have.

I have! (Well, thinking back, maybe it was only 128 K?) SAP stands for
Service Advertising Protocol. Cisco has spelled out the acronym incorrectly
for years.

>Solution:  Filter outbound SAP's at the source router (this may need to be
>done at both ends of the WAN circuit depending on the number of servers on
>each side.  Normally, unless an application or printer needs to be
>advertised on the 'other' end of the WAN link, I shut them all down,
except
>for file services.
>
>Otherwise, the routing tables (same for IPX RIP as IP RIP) are sent over
the
>WAN link every 90 seconds by default.

IPX RIP sends every 60 seconds by default. IP RIP sends every 30 seconds by
default. You're thinking of IGRP when you say IGRP perhaps?

Sorry for being so picky. Your answer is right on!

Priscilla