Hi,

You might want to add a secondary address to pick up another network on the same lan.
You might for example have 16 addresses available on a network and have them on a lan.
 You might increase your network by another 50 people and therefore require extra
addresses.  These could be added as a secondary address range.

You might want to do it for security reasons.  Have a secure subnet and a secondary
network.  This would allow you to do some access-list stuff and stop users on the LAN
from accessing other devices on the LAN.

router#(config-if) ip address 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.224 secondary

(beware of the line wrap)

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia