Hi,

As I understand it an interface needs to be up to ping it.

You can come unglued from time to time also. We have a heap of people connected to an
access router (we have 100's of them)  The access routers have a dialer interface is
unnumbered with the ip address pointed to loopback 1 eg 10.10.10.1/25.  Loopback 0 has
an address in a separate subnet eg 192.168.3.4/32.  Each of the clients on the dialer
has an ip address allocated eg 10.10.10.26.

I could ping this guy from anywhere but not from the direct interface or loopback 1
(the same network).  Strange you might think.  All it is some one else on the dialer
interface came in and asked the access router to provide an address.  What address
does it provide? 10.10.10.1.  Therefore when you do a ping it does not reply to the
correct place.

Loverly little trick.

Another rambling that may save you one day.

Teunis
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

www.tasmail.com